Poll
Question: Vote to increase the size of the Oliver Park!  (Voting closed: June 06, 2008, 10:20:50 PM)
Yes - 24 (92.3%)
No - 2 (7.7%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oliver Park  (Read 22997 times)
WaltSmith
Very Active Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2008, 02:00:08 PM »

The discussion came up, again, about FE buying an extra lot, ajoining the existing lot.
We found out, the owners are interested in selling!
This would double the size of our park and maybe include a community center, from the County Parks and Rec. They appear willing to work with us.
It seems clear to me, St Johns and our Commissioners, are not going to help us with a real, area park.
Any way, this is the 2nd time I've tried, for FE to buy this land, but can't get any support from my partners on the board. Just a differant view!
The CRA group is in total support of this, by the way.
The question came up last night: Just how many people in FE, would really want to increase the park and make it better for our kids and our use?
I need some input from you guys: How many people really want a better, bigger park for our use, in FE?
Walt
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 08:25:25 PM by flaglerestates.com » Report to moderator   Logged

money8
Very Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 06:20:12 AM »

O.K.  People here is your chance to make something positive happen out here,SPEAK UP tell the man what he wants to hear.
    Walt, We desperately need a park,that can be used for youth sports,The park as it is now,is pretty much useless,the ball diamond looks like a mine field,A center for meetings is sorely needed, Anything that we can wiggle from the county is good,even tho they throw us a bone now and then(to keep us quite)
we need to get it before it's gone.I 'd like to know how much the present owners are asking for the lots?  Keep pushing the issue Walt. Bill Fisher
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 06:25:59 AM by money8 » Report to moderator   Logged

WaltSmith
Very Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 01:31:02 PM »

I'd rather not say the amount, at this time, or the exact lot.
It seems like a couple, "local' realtors, have all ready made comments, like they would buy them up first, and than make an offer to us.  With in increase, of course.
What friends! And they're "so concerned about FE".
At FE, we put in for some State Grants, to apply to matching funds and maybe buy more land, for the park. But with the tax mess, we don't know if we'll even get them.
But, at FE, we have the chance to get the one lot and double our excisting park, fairly cheap and get a center with it.
I think it's a good deal, but I need some numbers and your input.
Thanks Bill............Walt
Report to moderator   Logged

Thecool-1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 10:24:03 PM »

So what size is the lot? What is the current area size of the Park now? Figures the realtors would be so generous... No dollar amount yet you can mention?

money8
Very Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 07:50:44 AM »

Everone needs to come to the next district meeting,voice your feelings on the park! Talk it up with your friends and anyone you see,
  All the lots in that area are 1-1/4 this will double the size of the present park!
   GO TO THE MEETINGS! GET THE FACTS! SPEAK UP!  Bill Fisher

money8
Very Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 05:32:22 AM »

WHATS UP WITH THIS ONLY 12 PEOPLE HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT THE PARK??? THEN DON'T COMPLANE WHEN NOTHING HAPPENS, EVERY ONE ALWAYS COMPLANES THAT NOTHING, GETS DONE TO IMPROVE FLAGLER ESTATES BUT VERY FEW EVER SAY OR TAKE ACTION,TO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN. BILL FISHER   Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

shelly
Average Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 02:40:08 PM »

I think a bigger better park would be great!!!!! i take my family to town to treaty park, would love to just bring them here to Oliver Park.
Mut
Average Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 06:03:26 PM »

I absolutly agree lets make it bigger and better!!!! 

Glad To Be In Flagler Estates !!!!
money8
Very Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 10:27:12 PM »

Sad Sad Sad Sad
         The Oliver Street park expansion came up at tonight's meeting,and is a moot issue
 for now, Why you ask? Well the main reason is because this is just the first of many
 state funded projects that will not happen or take place,and this one of the results of
 the amendent to the tax laws that the voters approved under the guise of save our homes!! There will be a lot of services and tax supported that will not take place because there ain't no money left in the state or local coffers.
          The people who supported and thought a lot about the park will continue to push this item,and the folks who attended tonight's meeting( all 5 of them get my thanks).Just where were the rest of you? there were lots of seats left.   Bill Fisher

jrichards

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 05:20:02 PM »

I think the park should be larger. sorry I can not attend the meeting. I think that if Parks and Rec can help us out that would be awesome. Then again if a bunch of us got together we could possibly build a small lean to, untill something better.   

Jeannie
veronicad1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 08:05:49 AM »

We need to expand the park; it's just a lot with an shed and a couple of picnic tables. It would be nice to be able to have a community center for meetings, maybe a small fee for parties or usage that would help pay for upkeep. It could happen.

I never know when meetings happen or where.  Huh I would love to attend, I have some great ideas and since I do work in Public Relations I can help in that area. I can help somewhat with the website too but again - who to contact, where to contact, etc. We DO need an area for folks to feel they can get together and have a picnic or a family gathering. I had been in talks with the Boys and Girls Club for the city of Hastings, still am. I did that after the 'proposed' prison farm was thrown at us. I was the one with all the statistics at the meeting. That's what I do and do well. If we need to give statistics to the county for this, let's do it.

I have been working with my RE attorney in SoFlo on issues resulting from the purchase of my home - that took nearly two years to resolve. Now I finally feel like I live here legally. And they are telling me they're doing all kinds of closings on the new Saw Mill Creek sites - from Ft Lauderdale! This tells me INVESTORS are looking into the area with Broward having negative growth, Flagler having record NATIONAL growth, we're next in line. We need to make sure we have a rock solid community so we don't get run over by the developers, investors and well, the less than desirable element that didn't make it over to Polk county before they figured it out. Not being mean here, just being real.

And on that note, I know there has been rumor of a Costco going in near the Flagler/St Johns county line. I have been in touch with Costco's RE people; they will not confirm it nor deny it. I am currently doing records searches on the Property Appraiser's website. I HAVE talked to Verizon Wireless about a tower out here - they are very interested in putting a tower out here but need to make sure they can get land that has an accessable entrance, etc. Where in FE would be a good place? People get upset if it's too close to their home so let's think about this and decide where would be a good option. I don't know about anyone else but my cell has horrible reception out here. I was told that the closest tower is 10 miles away from us. I fell and broke my ankle a year back and had my cell on me - no reception. I had to crawl in the house to use the house phone to call 911, fell again while trying to get to the phone. Had I had reception I could have avoided further injuring my ankle doing that.

I have some input for improvements here - maybe help search for grant money this summer to make things even better for all of us. But I need to know where to go to the meetings to voice these ideas! Grin
money8
Very Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 08:30:14 PM »

All meetings of importance are advertised on this forum,usually with all the info. The Flagler Estates road and Water control dist. meets on the first and third Thursdays of each month, The garden club also advertises as does the C.R.A. steering committee,on this site.   Bill Fisher
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 08:32:31 PM by money8 » Report to moderator   Logged

veronicad1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 08:21:23 AM »

super and I'll be at the meeting this Sunday as well.  Cheesy

Oh and I have the application(s), telephone numbers for Verizonwireless to take up to the Buzzmart Friday. Anyone concerned about it not being their carrier the way it works is that they have agreements with the other wireless companies particularly in rual areas that they 'share'. It was an FCC thing. So if we get a tower up, we all benefit.

I did see that Mariposa fell apart. With the current economics and housing market they had to stop. Coupled with the full frontal assault from St Johns county that it would pretty much kill any remaining businesses in Hastings with the widening (again) of 207 it has been tabled for now. However as I had said before my RE attorney in South Florida has told me about the amazing number of closings they are doing for the new developement just across the county line and down the road in Palm Coast. What protects a good portion of that area is the Florida Agricultural Museum. The public land is going to be given to them and the balance of the Pellicer Creek saw mill land has been granted to them as well. Please support their efforts over there and if you have any time to help out please volunteer. I have gone over to see the place and will be helping as much as I can this summer. If that fails then who knows what will happen to all that land - probably get developed and we'll get horseshoed in. I haven't heard anymore about the Old Brick Road developement. Honestly I haven't had time to look into it. I was busy bugging my friends in Lakeland with Publix to get one closer to up and then the rumors of the Costco came up, etc. Oh and does anyone know what is going to happen at the old Charlie T's site? I want to scope out that land to see who owns it - just curious. I went up to the police who were there about a month ago for the tri-county drug sting and vocalized my support. I would love to see a police substation out here - perhaps give them a little office space at the community center if the land is bought for the Oliver Park? Response time would be super fast with that. Just an idea we all can knock around.

Looking forward to meeting folks this Sunday. Grin
bellfla
Average Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 07:09:21 PM »

Sad Sad Sad Sad
         The Oliver Street park expansion came up at tonight's meeting,and is a moot issue
 for now, Why you ask? Well the main reason is because this is just the first of many
 state funded projects that will not happen or take place,and this one of the results of
 the amendent to the tax laws that the voters approved under the guise of save our homes!! There will be a lot of services and tax supported that will not take place because there ain't no money left in the state or local coffers. .............Bill Fisher

Apparently Governor Crist has signed the budget WITH grant money still available, so maybe the Park expansion is NOT dead yet!!

Hope it develops into something we can be proud of!

David
janelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 07:16:49 PM »

Does FE have to pay for the  insurance ?, When a child gets hurt   who will the parents sue ?

sweetpea
Very Active Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 03:47:21 PM »

I see no reason for FE to pick up the tab on insurance. When my son was little he fell from a climbing station and broke his arm. I was there when he fell and it was really no ones fault. Kids will be kids. We paid the hospital bill not the county, who owned the park. Let's all try and keep it simple here. It's costing us enough to live here.
southport

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 09:30:29 PM »

Looks like another waste of money and another excuse to come back later and say we need more money to maintain it or expand it further.   This park only accommodates a few.  This looks like an expansion of government and as usual the locals are on board because they think they are getting something for nothing. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:36:19 PM by southport » Report to moderator   Logged
WaltSmith
Very Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 08:50:08 AM »

Yes, the grant did come thru, just found out Thursday night.
And Surprise it's not free money, we have to match the amount.

For those that are new to this board, here's how we got to this point.
In the last year, the County ( the present board of Commisioners, has refused to help this area of St Johns with a decent County Park. Twice!
1st. After the prison farm went down in flames, I asked the County board to go ahead and buy the land and make us a regional park.   Answer=  NO.
2nd.  When the Horse Park was offered as a place for homeless people, from St Aug and that plan fell thru, I asked the Board to make it, a regional park   Answer= No, it's in the wrong place!
Yes, there is a park for horse owners to take their ponyies and play. How nice!
No place for our kids, but Flicka and Sliver can have a ball!!

Here in FE, we do have a small park and we found a way to enlarge it and make a decent place for our kids and us.
The County Recreation Dept is compleatly behind us and helping.
The CRA group is in full support of this too, they have made great progress in the last 6 months.
I'll let one of them farther explain......

After we buy the land, we will basicaly give the land to St Johns County, and they will cover the insurance issues and father improvements.
And the CRA can help too.
This is the only way, Oliver Park will get better.
For those who have never attended one of our festivals, last year's had about 450 people attend.
The County also had Cracker Day, the same day and there was a rodeo, over in Paltaka.
Two years ago, we had around, I think, 650 people attend.
Not bad for our small community.
So, after almost two years of pushing Our Park, we're almost there...
But, to be fair, the last County Board did buy some land, outside of FE and after they bought it, ( Drum roll here )they found out it was about 85% wet lands and untouchable... Hence the name:  Wetlands Park....  Walt

money8
Very Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 07:20:12 PM »

How much of a match Walt?
 Bill Fisher

WaltSmith
Very Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 04:41:41 PM »

The Grant was for a little over $94,000.     
If this happens, it will be a little complacited, working out the deal with St Johns County.
And we may be the secondary insurance carriers and there is a posibilty, St Johns may not have anything to do with us and the land deal.
I doubt it, but possible!
This has yet to be all worked out.
More to follow, when I have more info......Walt

4wheelingbrat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 08:19:48 PM »

I am reading this topic and it seems like  the park expansion could be something very POSITIVE for the flagler estates community.  However, a few posters seem to talk rather negatively about the county.

Why?
pleeman

Flagler Estates-Country living with modern safety

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 05:13:21 PM »

I think when you consider the location and the history of FE it has been a long road to the level of respect we have earned from the county.

It used to be a lot less populated out here and it was easier to ignore us than throw us a bone.

But some people want to have a bright future for Southwest St. Johns County, more paved roads and water control.

This could cost some but it will cost more if we wait. It really is about having people who care and show up become involved and keep the

vision of a better FE on the front burner. They say the squeaky wheel gets the grease and we have some world class squeakers out here!

Grin Roll Eyes Tongue
valentine

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 12:55:29 PM »

there is a matching grant to do the park which meens that they put up 96,000.00 and we put up the same do you really think at this time we need a bigger park or more money to pay for thing that really need to be done to protect our land and roads.  Your new asscement from last years is going for more road ,etc. Read our letter from the district and where your money is going.  They fail to inform you that those grants are matching grants.  The district is for road and water not building a park.   That is the CRC's  job lets use them.  They have allready bought land and are putting in a community center.The district needs to do ther own job.  And thats not to spend our money when it is avalible from other sources.
WRONG

"There's No Place Like Home!"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 10:23:08 PM »

At a recent FERW meeting during Board Comments Mr. Smith announced that he was going to make a motion during the assessment hearing for a 0% increase for this years assessment.  As we all know Mr. Smith did not vote on the 63% increase last year, in my opinion he did not have to because the other two board members had his back.  Although Mr. Scheiner was not on the board and takes no responsibility for this motion during the meeting last year, he has also publicly stated that he knew about it and supported it.  Notice that is what they have always done, 1 votes against something and the other 2 vote for it, so it still gets passed one way or the other.  This method is often used as a guise of each one trying to look like the good guy on one thing or another, that way each one could say I did not vote on that, which provides them for an out

When the economy is in major turmoil all over the world, it is nice to say and it looks good to make a statement of no increase.  It absolutely serves no purpose when the board has been repeatedly asked to stop spending money until the economy is better and they still continue to make motions to spend more money and apply for more matching grants.  Mr Scheiner recently made board comments for the staff to start looking at improving and paving the roads around the park with guard rails.  While a resident asked again to please stop the paving and improvements because he could not feed his children asphalt or a park!

The
cdas04
Average Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 09:53:35 PM »

OMG!  will YOU please STOP!!  You know that this community needs a community center and a bigger Park!  You all act like this is going to cost you MILLIONS of dollars!  MY GOSH, how much will it cost YOU to replace the stop signs that the kids are vandalizing, let alone the cost in tax dollars to demolish homes out here that are being abandoned, NO not to the $126.00 increase in the assessment, but they are being abandoned because a certain someone out here is mortgaging the land and uninhabitable homes to people who "otherwise" couldn't afford it and then uses the County rehab ( your CRA tax dollars)money to rehab the homes, then when they still can't make the payments they leave!!!  and they leave that for US to live with!  How nice is that?  I would much rather spend my Tax money on a park that I can go and enjoy with my kids!  YES, there are KIDS that live out here and they would like to have a better Park.  GEE, what would increase growth out here a nice park where a family could go or some abandoned homes that a money hungry person convinced that young couple they could afford!  Ponder that for awhile!

LittleOne
Very Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 10:24:47 PM »

the homes, then when they still can't make the payments they leave!!!

When it was brought up to your husband about all the vacant homes out here and people just walking away because they cant afford it, he said that wasnt true. We do have that on tape.
You better decide who is being truthful, you or your husband?Huh

LittleOne
pleeman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 11:23:04 PM »

I am APPALLED at Littleone attempting to drive a wedge between a married couple!

IF it is a fact they disagree so be it! They are allowed separate opinions.

This is the second time in one day people have attacked The Scheiners whose only crime was step up and try to make a better F.E. when others would NOT!

Keep the discussion to the issues! Personal attacks have no place here!

Everyone is sensitive to plight of the impoverished. This has to be balanced with the people who have tied their financial future to this place.

Do you think they stopped building Superhighways when the horse and buggy crowd complained?

So instead of using our precious energy to map out horse paths like I mentioned a few years back we are cursing the progress!

Progress has made this country great- after the Second World War our country enjoyed one of its best growth cycles.

Everyone knows this is a down cycle but taxes have been collected, plans have been made and approved.

People need to support the leaders who have given their time and energy to build a better F.E.

Tearing them down is hurting EVERYONE out here!

Angry Shocked Angry

valentine

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 12:23:54 AM »

there is a matching grant to do the park which meens that they put up 96,000.00 and we put up the same do you really think at this time we need a bigger park or more money to pay for thing that really need to be done to protect our land and roads.  Your new asscement from last years is going for more road ,etc. Read our letter from the district and where your money is going.  They fail to inform you that those grants are matching grants.  The district is for road and water not building a park.   That is the CRC's  job lets use them.  They have allready bought land and are putting in a community center.The district needs to do ther own job.  And thats not to spend our money when it is avalible from other sources.
pleeman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 09:01:21 AM »

I would say that if you have dedicated people working hard you can have better roads and a new park and flood control!

Last years assessment amounted to 35 cents A DAY! Gasoline dropped by over that per gallon.

Yes times are tight. NEW taxes this year? NO!

But how concerned can you be about kids with no place to play, your neighbor who has to take a canoe to the street or god forbid someone stuck down a road on a rainy night.

Where are the Flagler Estates Compassionate Citizens?

Angry Shocked Embarrassed

febubba

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 01:59:41 PM »

I'll tell you where they are:  Bashing everyone and anyone who does not agree with them, patting themselves on the back for each and everything that they do, and last but not least doing it with repeated references to God being on "their" side.  I'm to the point now that I want to scream JUST LEAVE!!!! They have caused so much friction in Flagler Estates.  They complain about the $126 increase per acre yet swill their beer and smoke their cigarettes.  Oh yeah, I forgot, Praise God!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length